Program on Countering Transnational Organized Crime International Forum (CTOC-IF)
The Marshall Center’s Countering Transnational Organized Crime Program will host its fourth International Forum (CTOC-IF) with the Italian Carabinieri Corps at the Italian Carabinieri Officers College in Rome, Italy.
This is a unique global forum where senior government, law enforcement and security professionals, prosecutors, and policy makers from around the world gather to discuss current and emerging trends posed by transnational criminal organizations.
This iteration will build on last year’s event by assessing the evolving nature of transnational organized crime and its use of corruption as an essential enabler for promoting the sense of impunity of organized criminal groups. This year, topics will include developments in drug flows in and out of the South American Southern Cone countries and the interconnected business model now evident among criminal groups. Italy’s successes in combating the Italian ‘Ndrangheta and other Mafia activities will be featured. We will discuss trends in money laundering, targeted sanctions, and other methodologies.
- Brazil’s largest criminal syndicate, the Primeiro Comando da Capital (PCC) and its growing relationship with various other drug trafficking cartels and mafia organizations.
- Collective South American experiences and assessments of new drug trafficking flows to European ports originating from the South American Southern Cone Countries: Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Peru.
- The transnational criminal activities of the Italian ‘Ndrangheta related to trafficking cocaine and money laundering activities throughout the world.
- The German experience: ‘Ndrangheta operational characteristics in Germany and challenges experienced by law enforcement and prosecutors.
- Country specific challenges and successes in prosecuting transnational criminal organizations. How can better inter- national collaboration become a strategic advantage?
- Drug trafficking trends in the Western Balkan countries.
- Sanctions: Thinking ahead of the curve - a unique tool for targeting organized criminal activity.
- Transnational Organized Crime views and challenges from the United States. The growing global Methamphetamine and Fentanyl epidemic.
- Agri-Mafia: The growth and marketing of counterfeit food and goods by organized crime groups.
- Targeting corruption as an essential component of CTOC.
*Participation in CTOC-IF is by invitation only.