The George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies is located on Sheridan Barracks, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, about 75 miles (120 km) south southwest of Munich, near the Austrian border.


Air: Munich International Airport is 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. Direct flights from several cities in the U.S. are available daily.

Rail:The following website provides information on the German train system. You can also use the search feature to find information on train schedules from Munich to Garmich-Partenkirchen. Deutsche Bahn - Train Schedule Information  You can take the "S-Bahn" from the airport, to the main train station, to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Accommodations: There are temporary quarters available, but newcomers should work with the sponsor to make arrangements for a place to stay upon arrival.

Dining: The Marshall Center Dining Facility and the Edelweiss are open daily for all three meals (buffet-style) and excellent restaurants abound throughout the town.

V.A.T. Forms: Germany has a 19% value added tax on goods and services. U.S. citizens are exempt from this tax, provided a V.A.T. form is completed. V.A.T. forms can be obtained at the V.A.T Office located next to the main PX on Artillery Kaserne in Garmisch. V.A.T. forms do cost a small fee. It is recommended that the V.A.T. forms be used for large purchases such as hotel rooms and rental cars. Be aware that businesses are not required to take the V.A.T.

Recreation:  Information on recreational activities can be obtained from the Edelweiss Lodge & Resort, co-located with the Marshall Center.

Housing and Community Information:  Most of this information can be obtained from the U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria Website.  Civilian personnel PCSing to the Marshall Center will not be provided on-post housing (there are some few exceptions; the housing office can address this.)  Civilians reside in community housing - apartments, townhouses and single-family houses are for rent in the local area.  The Housing office will work with newcomers to find a house, arrange the lease etc.  There are no restrictions on furniture etc. but be aware that most German homes have smaller rooms. German-style closets, washer/dryer, dishwasher and refrigerator can be issued to civilian personnel; also some furniture and light fixtures are also available for issue. Electricity in Europe is 220v 50Hz - you can buy transformers on post to convert the electricity to 110v 60 Hz or for electronics that adapt between 110-220v, you can buy adaptors to plug into the German outlets.

Information on making a successful change of station can be found at

If you have not yet been contacted by your sponsor, or you can't find an answer to your question, email the Этот адрес электронной почты защищён от спам-ботов. У вас должен быть включен JavaScript для просмотра. and we'll help.