The facilities of the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies encompass both the Sheridan and Artillery Kasernes. Sheridan Kaserne, originally named Jaeger Kaserne, was constructed in 1937 to house German Wehrmacht troops.
The U.S. Army first used the installation in 1945 as a prisoner-of-war camp for officers. The Headquarters of the First Mountain Division of the new German Bundeswehr was located on the Kasernes from 1960 - 1992.
The installation became home to the Garmisch U.S. Military Community, the headquarters of the Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) and the former U.S. Army Russian Institute in May 1964. In June 1992, the facilities on Sheridan Kaserne transferred to the new George C. Marshall Center.