The mission of the Strategic Languages Department is to provide enhancement and specialized foreign language training to U.S. and NATO/Partnership for Peace military and civilian linguists.
The department is a dynamic organization that provides the best possible foreign language education to a variety of customers, both within the framework of listed courses and in response to special requirements. If there are any special courses your unit would be interested in please contact PLTCE.
The faculty and staff, more than 20 civilian and military professionals, take pride in their flexibility and ability to serve the variety of needs of the Department of Defense and NATO member countries.
The following programs are currently available and conducted to accomplish the mission:
- Five-week Language Enhancement Courses in Arabic, French, Persian-Farsi and Russian.
- Five-week familiarization courses in Hausa and Swahili (by request).
- Five-week Iraqi, Moroccan, or Levantine Dialect Courses - A familiarization course for speakers of Modern Standard Arabic.
- Specialized Language Courses - These courses reflect the Center's unique ability to create and present specific courses on demand that provide linguists with skills to meet operational requirements.
Note: A minimum of four (4) students per requested language is required to run a specialized course.
- Three-week Consecutive Interpretation Techniques (CITC)
- Two-week Military Translation & Terminology Course (MTT)
CITC Russian: This three-week course is designed to develop knowledge, skills and techniques of Russian-English/English-Russian consecutive interpreting by providing students with the necessary linguistic tools. Success is measured by the student's ability to perform his/her duties in a satisfactory manner commensurate with their linguistic abilities. Interpreting skills are reinforced through class activities which utilize briefings, sight translation, and role playing scenarios based on up-to-date materials. Particular attention is paid to memory development, composite lexico-grammatical transformations and general language proficiency enhancement.
Military Translation and Terminology course (MTT) Russian: This two-week course is designed to enhance Russian-English/English-Russian written translation skills. Materials are drawn from military texts in both languages which illustrate a variety of lexical and grammatical translation difficulties. Subject areas include military conflict and security, ground forces, special forces, counterterrorism, weapons of mass destruction and arms control.